Mobile science exhibition
Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism has flagged off the first ever Mobile Science Exhibition (SCIENCE EXPLORER) for the Ladakh Region in Leh.
What is Mobile Science Exhibitions:
Organised by –
- Mobile Science Exhibitions(MSE) are basically science exhibitions on buses based on various themes of science and technology.
The exhibitions are organized by the National Council of Science Museums(NCSM).
To communicate science in rural areas.These buses target the population which is unable to visit any of the science centre of NCSM
is ‘If the people cannot visit the museum, let the museum visit the people at their doorsteps.’
Topics chosen for these exhibitions
(b) Machines in everyday life
(c)Food & Health
(d)Chemistry & Life with a focus on Water
(f)Hygiene & Sanitation and
(g)Space Science for Human Welfare.
Facts for prelims –
The First MSE was launched by Birla Industrial and Technological Museum (BITM),Kolkata
in the year 1965.
About National Council of Science Museums (NCSM):
- The National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) was established in 1978 as a central coordinating agency for national science museums.
- It is an autonomous Science & Technology institution under the Ministry of Culture jointly with the Department of Science & Technology (DST).
- NCSM is the world’s largest network of science centres and museums that functions under a single administrative umbrella.
Indian International seafood Show
The 22nd edition of India international seafood show(IISS) will be held in Kochi,Kerala from 7 to 9 February 2020.
About India International Seafood Show(IIS) –
Organised by –
- India International Seafood Show(IISS) is a biennial show which means it happens once every two years.
The show is organized by the Marine Products Export Development Authority(MPEDA)
in association with the Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI).
About Marine Products Export Development Authority(MPEDA)
- The show will provide a platform for interaction between Indian exporters and overseas importers of Indian marine products.
- MPEDA was constituted in 1972 under the Marine Products Export Development Authority Act,1972.
- It functions under the Department of Commerce,Government of India.It is headquartered in Kochi, Kerala.
- It acts as a coordinating agency with different Central and State Government establishments engaged in fishery production and allied activities.
Swachh Mahotsav 2019
Swachh Mahotsav 2019 was held at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi.
About Swachh Bharat Awards 2019
- Swachh Mahotsav was organised by the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- On this occasion, President of India presented the Swachh Bharat Awards in various categories.
Concepts for understanding –
About Swachh Iconic Places(SIP):
- Best Swachh Iconic Place was awarded to Vaishno Devi Shrine Board in Jammu and Kashmir and Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CST), Mumbai.
- Swachh Award in Swachhta Action Plan category was awarded to the Ministry of Railways.
- Award for Open Defecation Free(ODF) and Behavior Change were given to Gujarat and Sikkim.
- The Swachh Iconic Places is an initiative under the Swachh Bharat Mission.
Coordinated by –
- It is a special clean-up initiative focused on select iconic heritage, spiritual and cultural places in the country.
The initiative is being coordinated by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in association with the Ministry of Urban Development, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Tourism and the concerned State governments
About Swachhta Action Plan(SAP):
- The Swachh Iconic Place award is given on the basis of
- (a)action plan accomplishment
- (b)participation of stakeholders
- (c)funds leveraged and utilised
- (d)evidence of difference and
- (e)cleanliness in the surrounding areas.
- SAP was launched in 2017 with the active participation of 72 Ministries and Departments.
- It is one of the flagship initiatives of the Prime Minister towards making Swachh Bharat everyone’s business.
- It aims at engaging all wings of the Government in the Swachh Bharat Mission programme.
National Animal Disease Control Programme
- Prime Minister will launch National Animal Disease Control Programme for Foot and Mouth Disease and Brucellosis on 11 September 2019 in Mathura.
- What is – National Animal Disease Control Programme for Foot and Mouth Disease and Brucellosis is a 100% centrally funded programme.
Concepts for understanding
About Foot and Mouth Disease
- To control Foot and Mouth Disease and Brucellosis by 2025 with vaccination and eventual eradication by 2030.
- Foot and mouth disease (FMD) is a severe, highly contagious viral disease of livestock that has a significant economic impact.
Impacts – The disease affects cattle, swine, sheep, goats and other cloven-hoofed ruminants.
FMD virus and its impacts on animals –
Brucellosis and its impacts on animals –
- FMD virus belongs to risk group 4 as per World Organization for Animal Health(OIE) Aphthovirus genus of the picornaviridae family.
- FMD can spread when infected animals bring the virus into physical contact with susceptible animals.
- If a cow/buffalo gets infected with FMD, the milk loss is upto 100% which could last for four to six months.
- Brucellosis is a zoonotic infection caused by the bacterial genus Brucella.
- The bacteria are transmitted from animals to humans by ingestion through infected food products,direct contact with an infected animal or inhalation of aerosols.
- The disease is also known as undulant fever, Malta fever, and Mediterranean fever.
- In case of Brucellosis the milk output reduces by 30% during the entire life cycle of animal.Brucellosis also causes infertility amongst the animals.
India-china Strategic Economic Dialogue
The 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue(SED) will be held in New Delhi from 7-9 September 2019.
About the Strategic Economic Dialogue:
What is –
India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue is a bilateral dialogue platform
between the Niti Aayog
and the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) of China.
The idea of having such a dialogue was first floated by the then Chinese Premier on his visit to India in 2010.As a result,the first India-China SED was held in 2011 in Beijing,China.
of the dialogue is to discuss challenges and explore possibilities of cooperation between sectors that are strategically important for the economic growth
of the two countries.
- 6th strategic dialogue – will focus on collaboration between the two countries on areas of infrastructure, energy, high-tech, resource conservation, pharmaceuticals and policy coordination.
Odisha State Disaster Management Authority(OSDMA) has won the IT Excellence Award,2019 for its innovative mobile application called SATARK.
What is SATARK –
Developed by –
- Stands for System for Assessing, Tracking and Alerting Disaster Risk Information based on Dynamic Risk Knowledge.
- SATARK is a web/smartphone based app for Early Warning Communication system(EWCS).
The app has been developed by Odisha State Disaster Management Authority(OSDMA)
in collaboration with the Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia(RIMES), Thailand
– The app provides real time watch, alert and warning information for different hazards like heat wave, lightning, droughts, ocean state information and floods
Features of app
Concepts for understanding –
About – Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System(RIMES)
What is –
- The app utilises a machine learning algorithm to self-learn from each seasonal cycle of operation and improving on its own advisory generation process over season.
RIMES is an international and intergovernmental institution
owned and managed by its Member States for the generation and application of early warning information.
- When -It was established after the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami on 30 April 2009 and was registered with the United Nations on 1 July 2009.
India, South Korea seal logisticts pact
India and South Korea have signed a logistics agreement
during India’s Defence Minister’s visit to South Korea.
About the Logistics agreement:
What is Logistics agreements –
are administrative arrangements facilitating access
to each other’s military facilities for fuels and services between countries
Terms and conditions –
India and South Korea logistics agreement establishes basic terms, conditions and procedures for the reciprocal provision of logistic support, supplies and services between the navies of India and South Korea.
Advantage for India –
The agreement will significantly enhance India’s reach in the Indo-Pacific.
Advantage for South korea –
The agreement will also place South Korea amongst close partners like the US and France that have similar bilateral pacts with India.
Mega Food Park Scheme
Union Minister for Food processing has inaugurated the first Mega Food Park in Telangana.
About Mega Food Park Scheme:
Implemented by –
Mega Food Park is a scheme of the Ministry of Food Processing
, Government of India.
To provide a mechanism to bring together farmers, processors and retailers and link agricultural production to the market so as to ensure maximization of value addition, minimization of wastages and improving farmers’ income
Features of the Scheme –
Components of the scheme
- These food parks give a major boost to the food processing sector by adding value and reducing food wastage at each stage of the supply chain with particular focus on perishables.
- The financial assistance under the scheme is provided in the form of grant-in-aid at 50% of eligible project cost in general areas and at 75% of eligible project cost in North East Region and difficult areas (Hilly States and ITDP areas) subject to a maximum of Rs. 50 crore per project.
- The scheme is based on a cluster based approach based on a hub and spokes model.
- The scheme includes creation of Collection Centres(CCs), Primary Processing Centers(PPCs), Central Processing Center(CPC) and Cold Chain infrastructur
- The PPCs are meant for functioning as a link between the producers and processors for supply of raw material to the Central Processing Centres.
- CPC has need based core processing facilities and basic enabling infrastructure to be used by the food processing units setup at the CPC.
- The scheme is demand-driven and would facilitate food processing units to meet environmental, safety and social standards.
Kaushal Acharya awards
Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) has organized the Kaushal Acharya awards.
About Kaushal Acharya awards:
Implemented by –
Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE)
Concepts for understanding
Skill India mission
- To facilitate trainers from different sectors for exceptional contribution towards creating a future-ready and skilled workforce.
- This will motivate and incentivize more trainers to join the Skill India Mission.
- National Skill Development Mission also known as Skill India Mission was launched in 2015.
The mission envisages convergence, coordination and harmonization of the fragmented skilling efforts of various Ministries in Government of India and other key stakeholders.
The mission is implemented through the instruments of Common norms, implementation of National Skills Qualification Framework and data integrations through the Skill India Portal
Important facts about Skill India are:
- About 64% of India’s population is expected to be in the working age group of 15-59 years by 2026.
- Yet,30% of India’s youth are neither employed nor in education or training.
- Also both the service and manufacturing sector (Make in India) requires highly skilled labors.
- Thus,the Skill India programme was launched with an aim to improve the skill of 40 lakh people by 2022.
Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act 2019
The Supreme Court has sought a response from the Centre on petitions challenging the constitutional validity of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act, 2019
- The petitions have challenged the changes to the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act on various grounds such as-
- It infringes upon fundamental rights of citizens as guaranteed by the Indian constitution:
- a) freedom of speech and expression under Article 19(1)(a) and
- b) right to life with dignity under Article 21
Concepts for understanding
About Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act 2019
- It arbitrarily empowers agencies to declare a person a terrorist.
- It amends the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 which
- Aim – to curb certain unlawful activities including terrorist activities and related matters, carried out by individuals and associations in India and abroad.
- The UAPA, 1967 was enacted after 16th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1963 which empowered Parliament to impose by law reasonable restrictions under Article 19 of the constitution in the interests of sovereignty and integrity of India.
- Parliament can impose reasonable restrictions on:
- Freedom of Speech and Expression
- Right to Assemble peacefully and without arms
- Right to form associations or unions.
Great Indian Bustard:
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has asked the Centre to prepare a time-bound action plan within two months for protection of the Great Indian Bustards.
Concepts for understanding
About Great Indian Bustard:
National Green Tribunal (NGT)
- It is one of the heaviest flying birds (weighing up to 15kgs).
- It can be distinguished by its black crown on the forehead contrasting with the pale neck and head.
- It is endemic to the Indian subcontinent.
- It is found in Rajasthan (Desert National park), Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh in India and parts of Pakistan
- Major Threats:
- mortality by collision with infrastructure, particularly power lines and wind turbines,
- depletion of grasslands,
- development of mines and human habitation in and around their habitats
- Ingestion of pesticides.
- Conservation Status:
- Critically Endangered in IUCN Red List
- Listed in Schedule I of the Indian Wildlife (Protection)Act, 1972
- Listed in Appendix I of CITES
- Conservation Measures
- Project Great Indian Bustard:It is a Rajasthan government project launched in 2018. It envisages constituting enclosures and securing inviolate areas to ensure successful breeding of birds in the Desert National Park.
- Bustard Recovery Programme: Initiated by Union Environment Ministry in 2017, it is a programme for Great Indian Bustard, Lesser Florican and Bengal Florican
- The National Green Tribunal is a statutory body which was established in 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010.
- The responsibility of the tribunal is to work on the disposal of cases related to environmental protection, conservation of forests and other natural resources