Government to launch Jal Jeevan Mission to bring piped water to households
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on occasion of I -Day said more than Rs 3.5 lakh crore will be spent in the coming years under the Jal Jeevan Mission to bring piped water to households.
Facts Jal Jeevan Mission :-
- The government has resolved to provide piped water to all households by 2024. It has clubbed all erstwhile water related ministries under one new Jal Shakti Ministry.
- In her Budget speech, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said the new ministry will look at the management of water resources and water supply in an integrated and holistic manner, and will work with states to ensure Har Ghar Jal (piped water supply) to all rural households by 2024 under the Jal Jeevan Mission
PM Modi announces creation of Chief of Defence Staff
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced creation of a chief of defence staff (CDS) as head of the tri- services.
Why CDS :-
- A high-level committee set up to examine the gaps in the country’s security system in the wake of the Kargil War in 1999 had called for appointment of a Chief of Defence Staff as a single-point military adviser to the Defence Minister.
- In 2012, the Naresh Chandra Task Force had recommended creating the post of a permanent chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee.
- The CoSC comprises chiefs of the Army, Navy and the Air Force and the senior-most among them acts as its chairman as per existing norms.
July 2019 hottest month on record for planet: US agency
- July 2019 temperatures were the hottest ever recorded globally, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), confirming earlier observations by the European Union.
- According to the NOAA, the average global temperature in July was 0.95 degrees Celsius (1.71 degrees Fahrenheit) above the 20th century average of 15.8 degrees Celsius (60.4 Fahrenheit), making it the hottest July in its records, which go back to 1880.
- The previous hottest month on record was July 2016.
- “Nine of the 10 hottest Julys have occurred since 2005-with the last five years ranking as the five hottest,” the NOAA said.
- Average Arctic sea ice meanwhile set a record low for July, running 19.8 percent below average, and surpassing the previous historic low of July 2012 according to an analysis by the National Snow and Ice Data Center using data from NOAA and NASA.
- Average Antarctic sea ice was 4.3 percent below the 1981-2010 average, making it the smallest for July in the 41-year record.
CRPF officer who killed 3 terrorists despite bullet injury is recipient of Kirti Chakra
- CRPF officer Harshpal Singh, a Deputy Commandant in the CRPF has won five gallantry awards since 2004 when he joined the CRPF.
Kohli becomes first to score 20,000 international runs in a decade
India skipper Virat Kohli became the first and only batsman to have scored 20,000 international runs in a decade during the team’s six-wicket win against West Indies.
- Kohli has scored 20502 runs in all formats out of which he has scored 20018 from 2010 onwards.Kohli made his Test and T20I debut in 2010 but had already scored 484 runs in ODI cricket by that point in the previous decade, having made his ODI debut in 2008.
- Kohli’s accomplishment takes him ahead of former Australia skipper Ricky Ponting, who held the record for the most international runs scored in a decade with 18962 runs in the 2000s.
Esow Alben-led India bag historic cycling gold
- Ronaldo, Rojit and Jemsh come from Manipur, Esow from Nicobar.
- All four were also part of the team which won gold in men’s team sprint at the Asian Championships in Jakarta in January, creating a new Asian record.
- Ronaldo is ranked at No 4 and No 8 in junior sprint and keirin rankings.
- Esow, 18, is No 1 in both.
- Esow, the strongest of the quartet, is no stranger to making history—in 2018, he was the first Indian to win a Junior Track Cycling World Championship medal when he won a silver in keirin in Switzerland.
- He followed it up with a bronze in the same event on Thursday, India’s second medal from the 2019 World Championships.
People/Awards & Recognition
ISRO Chairman Sivan gets A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Award
- Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) K. Sivan, under whose leadership, the organisation launched its chandrayaan-2 mission, was on Thursday awarded Tamil Nadu government’s Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Award.
- A native of Kanyakumari district, Mr. Sivan is known popularly known as the ‘Rocket Man’.
- Various awards were given during the celebrations.